From 7 hours of sleep
Took a nap in the afternoon, around five, and I skipped dinner because I was asleep. Or rather, trying to pretend I was, because I already felt awake at that time, in spite of all the ear throbbing induced by being in the Ethnic Ensemble Club. So yes, the time that I officially peered into my watch was 11:52 pm, which I think is pretty good; woke up just at the crack of July 9.
So.
To the dream.
It was a bit bizarre. I was surfing on the internet, looking up a graphic novel. It was about Cupid (Greek myth god, not that cutesy, dopey looking diaper baby), and his son. His son grew up without knowing him, and Psyche had died early as he was growing up. Then fast forward to Cupid, who now shows up in his kid's life. By then his son had already grown (nineteen-ish, I suppose), and was shocked and angry about him. Blurry parts, more blurry parts... Society had condemned both of them, because of some reason or another. I remember looking at a panel where Cupid was knocked unconscious in a cave. Next panels: a face becomes distinct on the rock wall-- Grandmother Willow (from Pocahontas)! Or Grandmother Cave. She was talking to Cupid about his son, and now that they're both condemned, they have no choice but to leave their former lives and former selves, and be doomed forever to being hunted men. With that, the panel zooms in on her, her mouth hugely open with rows and rows of sharp tiny teeth, as if to swallow that battered god lying there. She did, though technically she didn't swallow him (I wonder where his remains would go if she did); it was a chew-up, more like. Next thing I knew, he was being mangled, ripped apart from limb to limb and drowned in a pool of hot lava. This was shown at an angle that wouldn't be too graphic. It reminded me of Uruk-hai births. Anyway, as he was a god, he couldn't die, and so he emerges from the lava alive, but not himself anymore. To put it in plain terms, Grandmother Cave (I just call her that, but she has no name) just performed extreme plastic surgery on him. He looked like half-man, half-molten thing (who is comparable to my vague memories of Spawn) with veiny wings. Coming into consciousness, he found himself changed, and beside him was his son, also altered. A bit of wry humor here and--
Cut.
A little cliche, a little hmmmm, but amazingly vivid overall, with good script to boot and great art to go with it. And it was really a graphic novel I was looking at. My own dream-made one I suppose; I haven't come across this concept yet.
Putting this down in words is hard; it sounds about a million times lamer than what you've actually dreamed, and mine is pretty cool, if only you could go look into my head and see. *pats head* I wuv you, subconscious. You dream up such lovely dreams.
*[edit: Excuse the tenses. I keep getting confused, so if there are any inconsistencies with that, maybe I'll change it, maybe I won't, but they WILL occur time and again, because narrating dream events are a challenge to lay down.]
---

This is Grandmother Willow, for the, er, imaginally-challenged. Now put her in rock, make her features a little rougher and less friendly-looking, and then you get Grandmother Rock.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home